The CFT offers scholarships to high school seniors and college students who are children or dependents of CFT members in good standing. Students enrolled in four-year courses of study are eligible for $3000 scholarships; those enrolled in two-year courses of study are eligible for $1000.
About the program
The CFT Raoul Teilhet Scholarship Program began in 1997 when delegates to the CFT Convention voted to establish scholarships that could help children and dependents of members achieve their higher education goals. The program was named after inspirational CFT leader Raoul Teilhet, pictured above, circa 1972. Teilhet served the organization as president from 1968 to 1985. In 2003, Convention delegates extended eligibility to continuing college students and dependents of deceased CFT members.
Raoul Teilhet died in 2013; you can read about Teilhet’s life and contributions to the union in his obituary. Since the program was established in 1997, the CFT has helped hundreds of students achieve their higher education goals by awarding them Raoul Teilhet Scholarships.
- Award selection is based on academic achievement, special talents and skills, participation in extracurricular activities, community service, financial need, and a 500-word essay on a social issue of the applicant’s choice.
- Scholarships are awarded for any one year of higher education.
- Students must be listed as a dependent on their parents’ or guardians’ tax return to be eligible for this scholarship.
- Parents or guardians will be asked to have their local union president verify union membership.
- High school students who received scholarships are not eligible for another Teilhet Scholarship as continuing college students. Continuing college students who received Raoul Teilhet Scholarships are not eligible to apply again.
How to submit your application
NEW! On May 15, 2019, the CFT launched online scholarship application. For the continuing college student applications that are due July 1, 2019, the CFT will be accepting only online applications. We are excited to offer this upgraded application process and we think it will make the application process much easier.
Raoul Teilhet Scholarship applications and deadlines
- Continuing college student online application. Applications are due July 1, 2019.
- , you may refer to this pdf application until our new online application opens on August 1. The deadline to submit applications is January 10, 2020. The CFT will be accepting only online applications.
- Contains basic info about the CFT scholarship program
Learn more about scholarships offered by the AFT and the AFL-CIO here.
For more information, please email Maria Arteaga, or phone our Administrative Office in Burbank at 818-843-8226.